Sunday, October 24, 2010

4th at Fort Ebey - Adventure Run

Fort Ebey is quickly becoming one of my most favorite getaways. Whether it is for an orienteering event, mountain bike race or just plain fun, it consistently puts itself among the best trails in the Pacific Northwest.

Today I raced in the Cascade Orienteering Club's, Adventure Run (goat) event. It was my first "o" course in quite a while and knowing what Ebey has too offer, my goal was simply to finish strong. Ebey is home to over 6 different kettles (depressions) throughout, so total elevation would play a role in the run, as well as the option to skip a control along the way.

It started with a mass start at 11am, while trying to say goodbye to Raely and Annalisa the "GO!" call had just happened. Without losing more than a second or two I was off running, trying to position myself towards the front of the pack to avoid a guaranteed stand still at CP 1. I managed to be in the top 5, so the wait was minimal. I did a quick bush whack to hit the road towards CP2. Making this move, I was able to leap frog 2 and be 3rd to CP 2. Liking the way of the road, I back tracked and ran more roads to CP 3, however this time it wasn't beneficial as Hayes and one other passed me (the trail proved to be faster). Up to this point my confidence was high as I had pretty much nailed all of the controls, which continued at CP 4, 5, and 6. I elected to skip CP7 as it seemed to be a little further in distance and difficulty, come to find out that was the most commonly skipped control. I had a 11 minute run to CP 8, partly due to the distance covered, but also due to me running past my left turn, I quickly corrected my mistake and was back on track.

From CP 8 to 9, I began taking some calculated risks, looking at the map and earth for any bush whacks. I found one, took it and popped out right next to CP 9, whew, sometimes those BW's don't work out like that. I hit another BW to 10, hitting it in stride, I continued through 11, 12, and on my way to 13 hit the 1 hr mark. Physically, I felt great and decided to push a bit harder. Not exactly knowing where your placing is can be challenging, like in adventure racing, you're racing phantom opponents. I nailed 14, BW up to the road where I passed another racer on my way to spiking 15. I decided that my road runs had done me well, so I ventured it again on my way to 16. In talking to Eric, the trail may have been a more direct route choice, oh well, I didn't get lost!

I got 16 with no problems, and then began a really fun and exhilarating couple of CP's as I BW'd my way right to 17 and into the direction of 18! As I hit the bluff, the wind was raging, I got 19, knowing I was close to being done, and with a quick glance over my shoulder to where I had come, no one was in sight. When I got to CP 20 though, I heard someone, "Go Dadda!" it was Raely and Annalisa at the finish line and they had had a perfect view of me getting 19 and 20. I ran up the trail to the finish and was done in 1:42:41, placing unofficially 4th overall.

All in all it was a great day of racing and time with Annalisa and Raely as we stopped off at Miriam's Cafe in Coupeville for coffee before heading home for a nap.

No comments: