Sunday, November 7, 2010

COC @ Lincoln Park

Cascade Orienteering Club hosted the 1st of their 7 winter series events yesterday at Lincoln Park in Seattle. A blend of trails, open fields and pavement (minimal) provided the setting of a fast paced race, one that would prove challenging if you weren't constantly checking and re-checking the map, causing you to over run the controls.

Tiff and I met at his place jogged down to Lincoln Park (3.1 miles), stretched, and hopped into the starting chutes. My starting time was 2 minutes ahead of him, which constantly went through my mind in hopes that he wouldn't catch me.

With 19 controls in a relatively small park, map reading and being able to distinguish all of the lines and trails became crucial. I found myself a number of times throughout the run stopping and confirming that I was in fact where I thought I was.

In completing the course in 34:34, I felt good about my overall performance. In taking a little extra time determining my location and route choice before putting my head down and running, I was able to limit my mistakes and end up 8th overall for the day.

After the event Tiff and I ran back to his place (all uphill) for a feast including salmon burger, portabella mushrooms and a recovery shake, mm mm good! Thanks Tiff for a fun day of exercise and even more so for our fellowship.

No comments: