Friday, December 9, 2011

Tough XC 5K workout...

This past Cross Country season, we implemented a 5 x 1000 repeat for our XC kids. It proved itself to be our most beneficial 5K pacing workout. Typically, we would give the athletes 90 seconds of recovery between efforts, and that allowed them enough time to run consistant splits. This past week I discovered a similar workout that National Champion Georgetown Lady Hoyas did in preparation for their Big East Championship Meet. Check out the video here.

I was excited about trying this workout out so I got Chris and Amy to join me yesterday. We have a 1000 loop on campus that includes grass, gravel and some track and ~60' of elevation gain.

Here were my splits...
1K = 3:57
rec = 90 sec
1K = 3:57
rec = 2 min
2K = 4:00 for the 1st and 4:09 for the 2nd
rec = 3 min
1K = 4:02

The would equate out to be about a 20:00 XC 5K, which is just slower than the 19:45 I ran in early October. I think that this particular workout would fit best in the 5th-7th week of consistant training.

Nevertheless, I loved it!

No comments: