Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Carl Westling Memorial 5k XC Race

I decided to strap up my laces and toe the line at last weekend's South Whidbey Invitational XC race. My team was there and would be running in 3 of the 5 races throughout the day, so we (coaches) decided to race in the open race. Let me be the first to say it isn't easy warming up properly when you are trying to manage and get 45 other runners dialed into with their time schedule. Needless to say, I got a solid 12 minute jog and stretch in before the gun sounded.


Like in most races, adrenaline kicks in at the start and everyone flies out like a bat outta "you know where". It's a short race, 5k, and to start out with a 6 flat first mile was a bit ambitious on my part. My second mile, I settled in at my own race pace, thanks in large part to the big hill we had to climb. I ended up hitting a 7:20 second mile. With just over a mile to go, it was time to hunker down and my best not to get caught be anyone. I took a couple looks over my shoulder at the corners and from there didn't look back, holding off any would be threats and overtaking one position to finish 13th overall (41 total) with an official time of 20:28. I PR'ed by over a minute from the time I ran over two years ago, so was pleased with my performance and am excited for the next XC open race I get to do.


As for the team, we had a great day! Our JV boys and girls finished 2nd and our Varsity boys took home a 3rd place plaque, the first in years! Proud to be a Seahawk!

No comments: